Although I am not even CLOSE to an expert, I do consider myself a healthy person. I have modified my diet & exerciseroutine (from nothing!) over the last year and some change and I love it....here are some of my thoughts on the topic:
- Get up and get moving...You can't complain about not shedding the extra lbs. when you're not doing anything. You have to start somewhere. For me it was my little sis dragging my rear to the gym (which i am so thankful for because i met my boyfriend there...hehe...another story for another day).
- Cut back where you can...one of the hardest, yet easiest, changes was with my coffee. I would drink at least two cups a day (and no, not the tiny cups you're supposed to use for 'one' serving) and I would load in the cream. In cutting back, I have weaned myself off of creamer, and now use just skim milk and one splenda.
- Watch your portions....Slow down while you're eating so your body has time to process some food. This will hopefully allow you to know well in advance of when you're full, before it's too late & you've inhaled the whole thing.
- Know what you're eating....I am a restaurant website junkie!! Before I go to eat somewhere I go look at their menu online & check out the nutritional value. For me, if I know in advance just how bad for me something is, I will remember to stay away when I see it on the menu later than night.
- Dip your fork!! Just because it's a salad does not mean it's good--that dressing is a killer! This is my favorite tip...next time you're eating a salad, ask for the dressing on the side. When your meal comes, don't dump the dressing on top, leave it in the little bowl and dip the tip of your fork into it before you spear some good ole' veggies. You will have the flavor of the dressing on every bite, but in the end, you will be left with HALF of what you would have used. Trust me on this one, it works!
- Lastly, have fun! If you hate it, you probably won't keep it up very long. Grab a friend, go for a walk. Find something that is enjoyable for you and you will be more likely to stick with it....so have fun :)