homeabout meour wedding30 before 30

Saturday, June 12, 2010

bafana! bafana!


The South Africa soccer team is known around these parts as "Bafana! Bafana!"  It has been so fun watching this city come alive over the last week with guests arriving from all over the world to cheer for their home team!  These soccer fans are crazy & make for some interesting sites!  Anywho, I don't have much time to write but I know I haven't updated in a while.  Hopefully this tiny update will fill you in a bit.....

The day our guest amenity and staff uniforms came in was beyond chaotic!  Luckily we had great staff to help sort through, but it was funny trying to navigate around the cardboard all day!  Made for an interresting lunch, to say the least!

So here in Cape Town, there is a rule that has kept my friend Jessie and me smiling a lot...you take the buggy with you!  Now some people may laugh because I say buggy, but what is really funny is that you can literally walk out of the store (which is in a mall) out of the mall (which is in a square) and around the town with the dang buggy.  Now I know you're next question, where do you bring said buggy?  That's what is even funnier, you simply leave it around town "in a parking lot, parking garage, sidewalk, park area" said the lovely cashier at the Pick 'n Pay.  And so we have.  Many, many times.  We even ride in carts around the town for fun in all of our free time   when we are trying to be a good Samaritan and at least make the 'drop off spot' closer to the actual store.  





Our local staff is amazing!!!  We had them do a cultural presentation and I will have to post videos...amazing is an understatement.  


Last night was my first World Cup game ever & I was privileged to have amazing seats to the France v. Uruguay game here in Cape Town.  We were sitting with all of the players wives and girlfriends, and needless to say, I was having a better time watching them and admiring the amazing shoes, clothes & jewelry than the game itself.  We made friends with their 'keeper' and she did not do a good job of keeping their whereabouts a secret, because I can tell you their travel itinerary for the next week.  Good thing I am a nice person :)


Anyway, we're off and running today and things are great! Sorry for my crazy random post and I promise to make more posts more frequently.  Miss you all back home....





3 comments:

  1. love this post. so great to hear about how things are going. we miss you like crazy here. i hate not being able to pick up the phone and call you or even send you a quick bbm. love you! oh and the shopping cart thing is tooo funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. miss you!!! the boys say hi aunt sis!!! LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like you are having fun! love the buggy pictures!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you ... Don't be shy :)