As Stephanie Tanner once said, "How RUUUDE"
I had a very 'rude' situation happen today when asking someone to be courteous of the fact that I work from home. I don't need to get into the details of the situation, but it made me wonder how other people handle rudeness?
Emily Post says these are the 5 Ways to Combat Rudeness:
1. Don’t take it personally. Perhaps the offender is having a bad day.
2. Size up your annoyances. Is it worth it to make a fuss over something small, or is it a waste of your emotional time?
3. Set a good example. Rudeness begets rudeness. If you speak sharply to the bank teller, don’t be surprised if you get the same treatment in return.
4. Count to ten. When someone’s behavior makes you angry, take a few deep breaths and ask yourself, “Is it really worth blowing my stack over this?”
5. Laugh it off. If you can’t come up with a friendly joke, just chuckle and change the subject.
I am not sure the person who was rude to me today really intended it to be rude towards me, or if they were just dealing with some pent up frustration about their (now old) home. I do know, however, that I remained polite and did all I could to not be rude in return.
...what would you do??
Photo from ParentDish.com